Saturday, February 28

the 2 willys

what did you think i was talking about?


okay, so we know who i prefer.....even if he is prettier than me, especially in that purple suit........
but, we thought we'd put it to the real test.......thing 1 and thing 2.

for our weekly movie night, we thought we'd do a comparative cinematic analysis....you know try to be educational?


okay, really we just wanted to watch the willy wonkas and see what the kids thought.


now, if you know me, you know i'm relatively conservative when it comes to what my kids watch, which is why this is the first time either one of them have seen either one of these movies.

although my boy asks for transformers, star wars-clone wars, and pirates of the caribbean, he's only getting noggin. no commercials and they are limited to things like olivia, backyardigans and little einsteins.

oh wait, we have started them on some scooby-doo and my new favorite, phineas and ferb. mainly because the music to both is super sweet!


i know, i know, call me a hypocrite. my tv is my lifeline. but enough about me.


night 1: johnny depp's willy (okay, now that is kinda funny)
while johnny depp is a little um, eclectic? the special effects are amazing!
the oompa loompa who is the same guy throughout the whole movie? crazy!
and how can you not like helena bonham carter?

and, charlie bucket has a dad. good call. a 2 parent household. you knew this wasn't a disney flick. sorry walt.
i also like that this version followed the book so much more closely.
except for maybe willy wonka's creepy dentist dad and child willy wonka's crazy head gear, this movie? sooooo not scary.
2 thumbs up.
the best part of this movie? you see augustus gloop, veruca salt, violet beauregard, and mike teevee walk out of the factory, a little worse for wear, but totally alive.
this is important.

night 2: gene wilder's willy (again, i made my self giggle)
the songs, especially the oompa loompa songs in this version cannot be beat!
okay, okay, so the special effects leave a little bit to be desired.....i mean it looks like it was put together in my gym. but c'mon folks it was 1971. we hadn't even gotten star wars yet.
of course, we all remember the LSD boat ride they take after augustus gloop falls into the chocolate river. again, great for children.
sadly, this did unnerve my babies, and while covering their eyes, i contemplated turning it off.
but no, i remembered, it gets better.
okay, so maybe i should have turned it off. parker still asks about "why that girl turned into a blueberry" and when charlie and granpa drink the fizzy soda? she began to cry and wanted to go to bed.
way to go mom of the year!
1 thumbs up, i middle finger up.


my boy? not phased. he loved them both, but actually like gene wilder better!


its just funny. i remember having a conversation with my friend michelle about how her daughter who was about 3 or 4 at the time and the things that scared her. things like little mermaid and some of the other princess movies. not having a girl at the time, i couldn't understand it. from the time he was 2, my boy has asked to watch the craziest of things, and on the off chance i gave in, no problems! now that i have a sensitive little girl, i can totally understand. of course, sadly for my boy this just makes me hold more stuff back.


you know those tv ratings? i usually add about 2 years to them, you know Y7 in my world becomes Y9. i may just add 2 more.

2 people said stuff:

The Browns said...

We live off scooby doo around here! Interested to see that Phineas and Ferb gets your approval. I think I just assumed it was one of "those" shows, but have no idea where I got that idea. I'll have to check that one out.

Won't surprise you that my sensitive Simon cried during Dumbo's LCD trip when he drank the fermented grapes!

anda said...

i am just dying at you typing about willy's and giggling the whole time you are doing so!

i am with you on the sensitive part. my kids still have NO idea why nemo dosen't have a mommy, how ariel becomes a person, what happens to the sea witch, and why there is a dragon on the front of sleeping beauty...we haven't seen a dragon in it!

and it is a boy girl thing. nothing bothers logie. but e? she doesn't even like it when i shut cabinet doors too loud. arg!