Thursday, May 29

does anyone read the sidebar?

in case you don't, i had to post this educational piece by rod dreher because i'm intrigued.
read and learn!
Wednesday May 28, 2008

Your summer drink list
James Poulos is a sophisticated tippler, and helpfully provides his summer drink list here. I was pleased to discover that he's also an aficionado of gin and grapefruit juice, which I've been a seasonal fan of for many years. I add a splash of club soda to mine, though, to give it a little lift.

My summer drink do's:

1. Vodka and club soda, on the rocks, with lots of lemons smashed in the bottom. I don't like sweet drinks, as a rule, and there's nothing quite so refreshing as a vodka and soda. This summer, I'm going to try infusing some Tito's with hot peppers, and various herbs from our garden. I'm curious also to try lemon grass-infused Tito's. A couple of summers ago I infused some Tito's with kaffir lime leaves, and let me tell you that stuff was terrific. Mixed with a little cranberry juice, grapefruit juice and soda, it transports you to the Long Bar at Raffles. Or what I imagine that must feel like.

2. Rose' wine. No, seriously. If your idea of rose' is Lancers, think again. There are some excellent, bone-dry roses available now, and for not much money. I bought a pale pink one from Touraine for Memorial Day sipping, and it was spectacular (and only $10).

3. The non-girly caipirinha. I don't make this at home, because it's too labor-intensive, but when I go to La Duni in Dallas, I always order their caipirinha, without sugar. Just fresh-squeezed lime juice, crushed limes, pinga and ice. Sour. Strong. Cool. Refreshing.

Summer drink don'ts:

1. Frozen margaritas and frozen daiquiris. Being anti-margarita is heresy in Dallas, but I'm sorry, they're just Slurpees for dipsos. Ditto on daiquiris. Go ahead, hate me.

2. Beer. I find it hard to drink beer when it's hot. Makes me feel like I've eaten a loaf of bread. Though I will say when you're eating chips and hot salsa, there's nothing quite as good as an icy Tecate in a can, with lime and salt. If you must drink beer in the summer, drink wheat beer with a slice of lemon (not Hoegaarden, though; it's the PBR of its class).

3. Brown liquor. This is idiosyncratic to me. I love whisky, especially (in the summer) Scotch and soda. But it gives me a headache. Pray for me, in your charity.

Summer can't decides:

1. Campari and soda. Love the bitterness and the effervescence. But it's very light.

2. Dirty vodka martinis. Delicious stuff, especially with Grey Goose. But they go down too fast, and always lead to regrets.

3. A real mint julep. I have a recipe Walker Percy wrote down, the secret ingredient of which is a dusting of fresh nutmeg. Seriously, this is a major sit-down-on-the-front-porch summer drink, and I can't recommend it highly enough, provided you use lots of mint, really good Bourbon, and pack the ice in pretty hard. Unfortunately, it's liquid hangover for me these days. Still, the occasion will present itself about once a year, usually in a situation involving a rocking chair, and I'll through caution to the wind. That's why the good Lord made Advil.

posted by Rod Dreher @ 7:39pm

3 people said stuff:

Anonymous said...

I too am a huge fan of caipirinhas! But, they can be a bit of a pain, especially when you are making a lot of them. I recently came across a line of already made caipirinhas that were excellent-like the real thing! They are made by a company called Cuca Fresca and come in a few flavors. You should check them out.

Anonymous said...

Mon, I have a good friend who is from the deep south...Mississippi! She has made mint juleps for a long time and says she muddles a slice of sweet orange with a few mint leaves and adds that to the simple syrup and adds a few drops of bitters. If you make them, let me know how they turn out.

Amy Magallanes said...

You rock. If your Mom reads this, good luck!